What does a public loss assessor do and why he may be your best asset as you navigate through a tricky insurance claim.

When an oil tank leaks, the effects on your property and that of your neighbours can be devastating. Depending on the size of the leak, the length of time it went undetected and how much remedial work needs to be done.  If you are fortunate enough to have this eventuality covered by your house insurance policy, then contacting your insurance company and advising them that a claim is imminent is one of the first steps which we advise.

At Enviroleak, we can assist and advise in what to do when a leak is found.  We work swiftly and effectively to move you towards a full clean-up, a new tank and any remedial works which may be needed.   Our experience allows us to assess the immediate, the long term and hidden damage of an oil leak.  The long term effects of an oil leak may not be immediately apparent and if oil has seeped under buildings, for example, there may be a need for further repair work. As the informed professional clean up company on site, we always recommend that our customers contact an insurance assessor to assist them in making their claim with their insurance company.  Your insurance company will send their loss adjuster to look at the damage and make a report.   It makes complete sense that you also have your public loss insurance assessor to make your case, working closely with ourselves, and any other craftsmen or skilled professionals involved, to negotiate the best possible settlement for you.

What does an insurance assessor do?

 A Public Loss Assessor represents you, the policyholder and not the insurance company. They prepare, negotiate and settle your insurance claim for you, in order for you to get the best outcome.

How much do they cost?

An insurance assessor usually is paid a percentage of the final claim.  Generally they work on a ‘no win-no fee’ basis.  A typical loss assessors fees are about 10%, and when you consider that you can hand the entire negotiating, paperwork and mediating with the Insurance Company and their assessor, it is money very well spent, in our opinion.

What is the difference between a loss adjuster and a Loss Assessor?

The insurance company engages the services of a loss adjuster and as this implies, has their best interest at heart. The adjuster’s job is to act on behalf of the Insurance Company to ‘adjust ‘the claim.  Your assessor is firmly in your corner and will meet, negotiate and advocate for you based on the reports that companies such as ourselves provide.     

What if I don’t engage a Loss Assessor?

It is possible to negotiate your own insurance claim without the assistance of a loss assessor. It is possible, but not wise or advisable.   The loss assessor brings a wealth of experience, expertise and professional knowledge of the insurance claim process and the current climate, rates etc.  A speedy submission, with all the required documentation, photographs and even industry language will assist you in getting a more successful outcome.  Add to this, that you will have already be handling a difficult situation, the emotional draining of dealing with the claim can be handed to someone who has your best interests.

Enviroleak and Loss Assessors.  

At Enviroleak, we work closely with you and your appointed loss assessor to provide accurate information that is site-specific and can include an in-depth environmental survey of leak impact and risk identification. We’ve produced reports to major Irish loss Adjusters and Insurers, satisfying them that our works have been successfully carried out and are in line with current legislation.